Sub-letting your leasehold property

If you are considering letting your property please look at the advice below which is taken from the Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA) guidelines. For further information it is recommended that you contact an accredited letting agent such as those who are members of the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA).

Check your lease

Are you allowed to sub-let? If yes, is consent required from the landlord? If you are not sure contact your managing agent for advice.

Do you have a mortgage?

If so, you will probably need the permission of your lender before sub-letting. The lender may also put conditions on any letting allowed.

Energy performance certificate

This is a legal requirement before letting.

Gas safety certificate

This is a legal requirement and a copy must be given to the tenant before they move in.

Soft furnishings

These must comply with the relevant regulations.

Your lease

Give a copy of your lease to your letting agent and point out any rules and restrictions. You should ensure that your tenant agrees to abide by the terms of the lease because you are responsible for the behaviour of your tenant. It is sensible to incorporate the standard terms of your lease into any tenancy agreement.


Inform your letting agent whether they are allowed or not.

Parking arrangements

Make it clear to your letting agent what the parking arrangements are and tell them the number of any allocated parking space.

Forwarding address

Inform your managing agent of a contact address and telephone number.